Christian Hall with happy participants at a creative workshop held at San W Gallery/Studio 2017. Photograph David Campbell
Since 2014 we have been developing relationships that foster opportunities for artists, craftspeople and designers to come together for mutual exchange and benefits. We have started to work with a number of organisations and individuals who share similar goals to us and together we have initiated a number of projects.
Our biggest commitment to date has been supporting the establishment of San W Gallery/Studio in Pudong Shanghai. In collaboration with Guildhouse we have designed and developed a world-class metal and jewellery studio that presents workshops, master-classes and courses in jewellery and metal crafts. There have been other art forms presented along with creative workshops exploring concept development. The studio has initiated an Artist in Residency program with Italian jeweller Lavinia Rossetti being the first recipient. Lavinia will have time in the studio to research and develop new work and spend time exploring China, meeting people and sharing experiences.
In 2018 we will commence a mentorship program and open a ceramic studio in Jingdeshen.
Enhance cultural life by bringing contemporary visual artists, craftspeople and designers together for cultural and creative exchange
Support the understanding and appreciation of contemporary art nationally and internationally
Over the past 4 years the Yiwei Art Foundation has support over 40 creative professionals to have international experiences in China and abroad
What We've Achieved
- Currently setting up a collaboration with glass artists Wendy Fairclough with a glass studio where she will create a new body of work for her residency in March 2018
- Curated a major contemporary jewellery exhibition Nature featuring 11 contemporary jewellers from South Australia
- In collaboration with Guildhouse engaged craftspeople and designers to design and fit out the San W Metal and Jewellery Studio
- Our Guildhouse Residency program brought Jess Dare to Shanghai to take up the first Artist In Residence
- Supported glass artists Nick Mount to travel to China to make a presentation at the Hangzhog China Academy of Art
- During Shanghai Fashion Week 2017 will feature Lauren Simone’s jewellery along with garments designed by Rosie Hannam
- Facilitated Masterclasses with four visiting Korean artists
- Curated a solo exhibition with the work of South Australian jeweller Kath Inglis
- Supported an exhibition at Design Shanghai with artists, craftspeople and designers from Australia, China and Korea
- Facilitated bring the work of 7 contemporary Australian glass artists to Art Shanghai in 2014
- Supported glass artists Li Wen and Cheng Wenqnig to travel to America and make presentations at Pilchuck Glass School